Sunday 1 February 2015

Hello World! Follow me on my New Journey

When i was 4, Ariel sought a whole new world, when i was 7 Aladdin promised new horizons to pursue, and now here i am freshly having turned 30 trying to follow that very thing. I've struggled with weight my whole life. Looking back on childhood photos, I was a chubby kid. Through elementary and middle school and even early high school, I was teased mercilessly for my weight. As i grew up and those people stopped mattering, so did that opinion about my body. I began to like myself exactly as i was but i wanted a change and wanted to get healthy. So i did. I began changing my eating habits, working out several days a week using both weights and cardio. Weight began to drop, much more quickly than expected. Who am i to complain? I'm lookin' good and feelin' great and can chase after a bus without feeling like my lungs were about to explode!  I even climbed the steps of the CN Tower, from the bottom all the way to the top! When my yearly checkup came around I was more than happy to get up on that scale and show off my 50 lb weight loss.

Next came the blood work...well the results didn't go exactly as I had expected. I had hyperthyroidism or graves disease. To make a long story short I was put on meds and despite exercise, giving up gluten dairy and refined sugars for several months, every pound lost crept back up. So here I am trying again, with Optifast this time. I've been followed by a doctor who agreed that maybe this was the way to kick start a new weight loss journey. I turned 30 on January 30th so i figure since a new program was starting with the hospital, it would be a great time to begin. Four shakes a day, a minimum of 3 litres of water, and a total of 900 calories. There are 2 flavours, vanilla and chocolate. I think I'm allowed to have soup broth and i know i can have zero calorie drinks. Today was day 1 and it was awesome and full of energy and super easy!!

Ok that's a lie it was hell....i was trying to be optimistic. Did it work? It's almost 9pm, and i just finished watching Katie Perry's half time performance (best part? Missy Eliot) I just made my third shake of the day and it took me half an hour to get up and actually make it. It did help with my energy level though. I was fading fast and the Optifast was a good pick me up. Ive tried it both warm and cold and it definitely tastes better if you can throw it in a blender with some ice to make it feel like a smoothie. I'm starting at 196lbs. I'd always been 195 and yes one pound does matter! My all time high was 203 and though i haven't reached it yet, this is close enough for me. I hope you follow me as i purse this new horizon in my life. I don't know what i'll weight in a week but if I'm closer to my goal weight of 140-150 i'll be happy. So there you have it, my first day on Optifast. Please feel free to share your experiences with me! I look forward to seeing what the next days have to give.

No comments:

Post a Comment